Thursday, October 21, 2010

Landing on icy snow.


I'm here, I made it!


On Saturday, in the early morning I left my home in the quiet downtown neighbourhood behind. I was leaving Ottawa with two heavy suitcases and an even heavier heart.  Although I knew I was moving somewhere I’d always wanted to call home, saying goodbye to my fellow was still hard.
So, I bid adieu to a town painted red and gold, fall was on it’s way out but winter was still nowhere in sight.  

As I boarded my flight bound for Calgary the flight attendant cried, "KITTY!" Yes, I am that crazy person who decides to travel with the 10-year-old, obese tabby cat. Despite my reluctant companion the flight to Calgary was seamless.  I just tucked my sweet little cat snuggly into her crate, below the seat in front of me.  I only heard a few displeased squawks over the hum of the airplane. 
But it was the flight from Calgary to Yellowknife that really threw me.  My new home slowly came into view as we descended through the thick white cloud, hanging low over Great Slave Lake.  There on the craggy rock and caked onto the spindly evergreen trees was snow!  I felt like I’d flown through time.  
I had to tiptoe over the icy patches on the tarmac in my not so winterized footwear.  

Inside the Yellowknife airport every arrival has to meet the gaze of a polar bear before they can take their luggage. A giant, once-was-real, but now is stuffed ol’ boy and his friend, the seal are the centrepiece on the baggage carousel here. 
One of my new colleagues stepped out of the crowd smiling.  She’d come to pick me up and knew exactly who I was when I stepped through the doors.  I think it’s because of the shellshocked look on my face. She opened her arms wide and hugged me, “Welcome to Yellowknife”
Once the cat and I had unpacked in the hotel suite that we’ll live in for the next two weeks I decided to go foraging for some food. I didn’t have much of a trek to make because for a town of 18 thousand people it’s VERY well serviced. 
I found a cafe on the ground floor of a medium-rise office tower (a lot of government buildings here).  Inside was a diverse collection of people enjoying a warm drink and some lunch. I sat down at a table next to a man dressed in a white collared shirt with a red tie, fervently working away on some paperwork.  And on the chair next to him sat a raccoon, deceased of course.  So, this busy, businessman chooses to keep his head warm with a tres fashionable ‘Davy Crockett’ hat. I love this town!
Everyday here will offer a new experience, some good, others bad (I’ll focus on the good).  And I know each one of them will teach me something.  I couldn’t be more ready --- so bring it on you Canadian Arctic, I’m ready for your windchill. 
*****pictures will be added when I unpack my camera charger (packed it on the moving truck).  



No comments:

Post a Comment