Thursday, October 14, 2010

Packing... packing... packing

I've always wanted to head due North; it's been on my life's to-do list for years.

I grew up in the wilds of Canada's North West Coast where you have to drive for more than 8 hours to get anywhere. So naturally I've always wanted to take it to the next level and move to a place where it takes 20 hours by road to get anywhere.

This desire is taking me to Yellowknife, NWT. I'll be calling this Northern hub home in little more than 48 hours. I got a job in my field there and I couldn't turn it down. And I'm sure crossing this experience off my life's list will offer me a large dose of satisfaction.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic about it, talk to me in the middle of January, but I really think it'll be alright. I'm trying to stay as positive as possible because this time the move is different. I'm moving away from the love of my life. My fellow must stay behind because of his career commitments. So this change will challenge me in new ways.

Now I've moved a whole heck of a lot in my life and the hardest part of it, no matter the challenges, is the packing. And this time around it actually brought me to tears.  But this time the move included two gruff, chain smoking, mover elves.  My company is paying for everything! And the relocation package included these two freakishly strong men that packed my belongings and are now trucking it up to the great white North. They breezed into my sweet little walk-up apartment yesterday and before I knew it they were driving away with everything I own.  They made my life so much easier, so, thank you.

Today two suitcases are sprawled open on my bedroom floor and now our apartment echoes.  So, here I go -- off to Canada's true North, strong and free, just as the snow begins to fall.  I must be a little bit crazy.  

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to follow your adventures!
    Post photos!!
    xo
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Robyn. I wish you well. I think you are very courageous. With love, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete